Immunet Free Cloud-AV

Apparently Immunet took

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Apparently Immunet took notice of the complaints of their customers plus other valued sources and removed the ASK toolbar from their software. See: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1699056&postcount=208

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Even on the version with the ClamAV engine?
-----
MF IT-UESC - Protecting your Digital Experience. Now.

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:41 pm

You know what I think about it. They have removed the bar AFTER someone complained about it. If this was not going to happend, they wouldn't have done nothing, so this mean that they was accomplishing with that.

This is bad. What other "nice" gifts have they stuffed inside their software that is not under the sun of the light (maybe in its code)?

-----

Indeed which is why I will

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Indeed which is why I will refrain using the software untill it has been evaluated properly. They broke my trust and will have to earn it back before they get a second look.

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

wehaveitall

Immunet

Post by wehaveitall » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Hello everyone! Long time no post :)

I saw this thread and since I've been a user of Immunet for a while, I thought I should add a quick reply.

I've been using Immunet since its very early beta stages, and have found it to be very good software. It works with other Antivirus software, its very lightweight, and does a good job of detecting threats without classifying everything as threats like some.

From what I've read on their community-powered support pages, Immunet is a bit more complex than Panda's Cloud AV (which I've also tried and didn't like at all).

http://community.immunet.com/immunet/topics/how_immunet_works_in_details

I'm Ben Gelbart as you'll see in the thread.

Personally, I don't think that offering the Ask Toolbar should suddenly make Immunet classified as bad software. Clearly it wasn't the best decision on their part, but they listened to their customers feedback and made the decision to remove it.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on the software. I personally am very happy with it.

We rate the websites, the WOT staff creates, and advertises the add-on, and together, we make it all happen.

Jazspeak

Re: "been a user of Immunet"

Post by Jazspeak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Just the person to give first-hand information about Immunet.

Where the Immunet EULA says that the software is defective (in beta), have you noticed any of the defects? If so, what are the defects that you noticed?

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:14 pm

> Personally, I don't think that offering the Ask Toolbar should suddenly make Immunet classified as bad software.

This is wrong. The user MUST be informed of all the software is installed when double-click over an Installer. This is not only an ethic fact, but even because, in the resultant EULA parts, the company must insert all the information involved with it.

Technically, the installation of a software not listed and mentioned on the installer sequence, could be considered as Trojan, just only for the fact that a "unknown software" has been installed without the user agreement, occupying HD space and RAM during its execution. Moreover consider that such tool could be installed in a critical part causing the host software to crash, become exposed to attacks or the "unknown software" itself, considering that is more software installed on the OS containing potential coding errors, could cause the system to be more prone to malicious attacks and activities.

Is a mistake consider the side-effects deriving from the installation of an unwanted software as banal.
-----

wehaveitall

Automatic Removal of Threats

Post by wehaveitall » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Immunet 2.0 apparently came out on June 17, although I was unaware of this. I just downloaded it today, and I had been using what I presume is 1.0 previously.

That in itself is a slight defect, I suppose. I had no idea 2.0 even existed, and the program never alerted me of this fact.

From what I've experienced in 2.0 so far, there's really only one problem, but it's a very big problem. When Immunet detects a threat, it doesn't give you the option to remove it, it just does it. Whatever files it detects, it attempts to remove without you giving it permission to do so.

This is a major problem, and I just emailed them through the feedback option built into the program telling them my concerns.

My initial good impressions of Immunet are quickly worsening.

We rate the websites, the WOT staff creates, and advertises the add-on, and together, we make it all happen.

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:00 pm

> Whatever files it detects, it attempts to remove without you giving it permission to do so.

This is a potentially dangerous bug. In case of an FP, the AV could wipe critical files and data stored on PC.

-----

Jazspeak

Thanks for the info...

Post by Jazspeak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks for the info. That certainly is a major defect but at least Immunet gave a warning in the EULA of the existence of a defect.