User update from WOT

abhilashkrishn

RE: User update from WOT

Post by abhilashkrishn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Pathetic! I was the biggest promoter of WOT in friend circles and this is happening?

3rdWorldkid

Post by 3rdWorldkid » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Firefox and Google Chrome no longer enable the plug-in. I've been a little suspicious of WOT because they seemed so vague as to how they monitor their site ratings, some of which seem based on any user's prejudice rather than relevant data. On posing this question, I received no reply to date.
An organisation like this should ensure its information is valid and relevant and not simply leave it up a website to respond, ensuring it gets even more information about users with something to lose online.
I've removed the plugin from my browsers and unless there's a good explanation, I'm out of here.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:46 pm

<quote user="3rdworldkid">
Firefox and Google Chrome no longer enable the plug-in. I've been a little suspicious of WOT because they seemed so vague as to how they monitor their site ratings, some of which seem based on any user's prejudice rather than relevant data. On posing this question, I received no reply to date.
An organisation like this should ensure its information is valid and relevant and not simply leave it up a website to respond, ensuring it gets even more information about users with something to lose online.
I've removed the plugin from my browsers and unless there's a good explanation, I'm out of here.
[/quote]

Actually, the extension is once againot available.
The Firefox add on is still unavailable thoughave.
IMO they might as well start distributing the IE add on as-is, as while it is outdated it pre-dates the data collection changes.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:27 am

<quote user="3rdworldkid">
[/quote]

Σ(all opinions) == (public opinion) ¬= (your opinion)

Of two total Forum posts, your first on [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/42362--child-safety-vs-child-suitable#comment-349474 t=_blank]2016/09/02[/url] did in fact receive a [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/42362--child-safety-vs-child-suitable#comment-349478 t=_blank]reply[/url] a mere 00:37:18 later. So, enough of that.

Your question then, as now - about assurance, bias, definition, principle, relevance, validity, etc - has already been asked and answered numerous times in the WoT Forum and Wiki.
Google> "child safety" site:mywot.com inurl:forum
for ~185 occurrences in the Forum. The reason I mention this is that it is good practice to conduct your own research for your question (such as: how do I turn on my computer), before posting it to an online forum (such as dell.com), to see if the question has already been answered a bajillion times. When the forum is mainly run by volunteers, it's also good manners.

Have a safe journey.

Will WOT be available on Firefox ? If yes when ?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi,

I see that WOT is back on Google Chrome, but it is not there on Firefox. I have found it at this adress: hxxps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/

But, even though it's updated as of 2 January 2017, i am unable to install the add-on that is specified as "This add-on has not been reviewed by Mozilla".

So basically is WOT will be back on Firefox as well, or only on Chrome ? And if yes, when ? My guess is that WOT updated the add-on and it hasn't been validate yet by the Firefox team.

Thanks for your answers and Happy New Year !

NotBuyingIt

RE: Will WOT be available on Firefox ? If yes when ?

Post by NotBuyingIt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:09 am

<quote user="roadrashwolfenstein">
I see that WOT is back on Google Chrome, but it is not there on Firefox. I have found it at this adress: hxxps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/

But, even though it's updated as of 2 January 2017, i am unable to install the add-on that is specified as "This add-on has not been reviewed by Mozilla".

So basically is WOT will be back on Firefox as well, or only on Chrome ? And if yes, when ? My guess is that WOT updated the add-on and it hasn't been validate yet by the Firefox team.

[/quote]

Happy New Year!

Regarding the WOT add-on version 20161229 for Firefox ("updated as of 2 January 2017"), here is the text of the Mozilla caution:
Caution: This add-on has not been reviewed by Mozilla and can't be installed on release versions of Firefox 43 and above. Be careful when installing third-party software that might harm your computer.
Reviewing the bug reports maintained by Mozilla, this particular WOT version may not meet several requirements for the newest versions of Firefox, so it probably will never be able to be installed in the newest Firefox web browser and I should strongly doubt that it will become the version which is approved.

The WOT staff doesn't ordinarily disclose future release dates. However, interested readers may monitor this thread and the WOT blog for announcements about the add-on.

Dutch Mountain

RE: Will WOT be available on Firefox ? If yes when ?

Post by Dutch Mountain » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 pm

<quote user="roadrashwolfenstein">
Hi,

[/quote]

FYI : I still run WOT on FF ( for years already ).
But that's maybe bcoz I already was there.

NotBuyingIt

regarding the availability of a WOT add-on for Firefox

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm trying to consolidate a few comments posted in various other threads regarding the availability of a WOT add-on for Firefox, into this discussion.
hxxps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/
<quote user="villa-mimosa-pignato…">Link is not valid or maybe not anymore !!![/quote]

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Thank you!

Will older versions of My WOT install from our Downloads folder for users who purchase a new computer and wish to transfer their My WOT extension and profiles to their new system?

Satch

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:45 pm

<quote user="satchman">
Thank you!

Will older versions of My WOT install from our Downloads folder for users who purchase a new computer and wish to transfer their My WOT extension and profiles to their new system?

Satch
[/quote]

Crazy enough, you can still find the IE version at hXXp://download.cnet.com/WOT-Web-of-Trust-for-Internet-Explorer/3000-12512_4-10777505.html and it even gives you a malware-free download!
The version there does not have any string matches in its DLL for the tracking server, so it should be safe.
It installed just fine on my IE11 for Windows 10.

The Firefox and Chrome add-ons are delivered through their respective add-on stores, and thus you may no longer be able to install the Firefox version until it is relaunched. The Chrome version is back online, with the tracking server removed.
The Firefox version found on CNET will not install due to extension signing enforcement in the latest versions of Firefox. You may install an "unbranded" version from hxxps://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing#Unbranded_Builds to force it to install.