WOT Firefox add-on has always been available directly via this link:

Code: Select all

https://www.mywot.com/files/downloads/wot-latest.xpi
It now returns a 404 - Not found error

The last "safe" versions of WOT had remained open-source:
IE ver.20130902 (02 SEP 2013)
FF ver.20131118 (18 NOV 2013)
Chrome: ver.2.5.14 (08 APR 2014)

It's safe to say that IF the source code is not open, the reason is to hide unacceptable behavior of the add-on.
One example would be to right-click and disable or turn the add-on "off"
While you will not see ratings, or have ability to rate site, the add-on still makes HTTP requests with: secure.mywot.com
WOT is still "working" in the background.

[url=https://tietopalvelu.ytj.fi/Yritystiedot.aspx?yavain=1998957&tarkiste=AF057A9D1864600E8029A4E3E180046A0FB5F746 t=_self]TOW Software Oy[/url]
A reminder...

What information do you collect?
https://www.mywot.com/faq/website/membership#collectedinfo

Your privacy is very important to us.
WOT collects information only for computing website ratings, performing statistical analysis and preventing abuse of our service.

Any information that is no longer needed for these purposes is deleted.

When loading reputations for the websites you visit, the software sends our service only the encrypted hostname and any ratings you may choose to give.

The information about domains visited is stored only temporarily for computing ratings. Your IP address is never stored in our database.

When you register with WOT, we request some personal information. We ask for your name, your email address and a password (which you can choose yourself.) This information is stored in a secure database and will not be disclosed to third parties. Read the details in our Privacy Policy.

WOT is a domain rating service; domain being defined as either hostname or IP, commonly referred to as a website (as referenced in WOT's Terms: SCOPE OF SERVICE)

WOT was never designed to collect URL data, nor was it intended to "rate" URL's, commonly referred to as webpage(s).

Harvesting, storing, and transmitting (selling):
IP
user data: weboftrust.witness_id | weboftrust.witness_key | username (if registered / synchronized)
Browser data
Device data

Combined, this collection becomes PII

Which places WOT into the category of:
[url=http://www.dictionary.com/browse/spyware t=_blank]Spyware[/url]

software that is installed surreptitiously and gathers information about an Internet user's browsing habits, intercepts the user's personal data, etc., transmitting this information to a third party.

[img]https://www.mywot.com/w/images/b/bc/WOT_2014-2017b.png[/img]

MyWOT-Team

RE: User update from WOT

Post by MyWOT-Team » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi.

You’re correct that previous versions of WOT were not designed to rate at the URL level, but this is no longer the case as we need to adapt to protect users against more modern threats. Newer versions of the extension now have separation per URL and not only on the domain level.

For instance, for domains that have different content per URL (services with User Generated Content, free hosting services etc.) - we’re required to send full URLs and not only top-level domains. For example - twitter.com, hxxps://twitter.com/PickleDupree85 and hxxps://twitter.com/egikenandi have different trustworthiness ratings.

This is why the full URL is critical for the core functionality of our extension. Separating the full URL functionality and providing only domain level protection will negatively affect the user experience and hurt our core value: protecting users while they browse on any site, in real-time.

We are doing everything we can to improve our product both from a usability standpoint and from a privacy-conscious perceptive. On Chrome we have already released a clearer opt-in/out and have also given an alternative to users who want to browse without the upgraded functionality.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 pm

<quote user="mywot team">
Hi.

You’re correct that previous versions of WOT were not designed to rate at the URL level, but this is no longer the case as we need to adapt to protect users against more modern threats. Newer versions of the extension now have separation per URL and not only on the domain level.

For instance, for domains that have different content per URL (services with User Generated Content, free hosting services etc.) - we’re required to send full URLs and not only top-level domains. For example - twitter.com, hxxps://twitter.com/PickleDupree85 and hxxps://twitter.com/egikenandi have different trustworthiness ratings. (Reply edit: live links disabled)

This is why the full URL is critical for the core functionality of our extension. Separating the full URL functionality and providing only domain level protection will negatively affect the user experience and hurt our core value: protecting users while they browse on any site, in real-time.

We are doing everything we can to improve our product both from a usability standpoint and from a privacy-conscious perceptive. On Chrome we have already released a clearer opt-in/out and have also given an alternative to users who want to browse without the upgraded functionality.
[/quote]
Your example proves you only need to collect at the maximum the first-level subdirectory, and only for domains that have UGC subdirectories.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Dear WOT,

I am upset with the selling of data allegations. My question for the My WOT Community, is how do we know that these accusations are true? They came from some German media firm and Wikipedia. And as we know, Wikipedia's data can be changed over time and at any time. I trusted WOT for many years. However, I rely more on the help My Wot provides on the safety of websites over privacy issues. My take is that if WOT can sell some of your data to third parties, this should have been made clear in the WOT User Agreement during the installation of the plug-in and was not mentioned.

Regardless, My WOT has not been the same company since it's foundation back in 2006. The new team unfortunately has been slow to deal with updates and security issues such as these. My belief is that many of WOT's algorithm's are relying on that old 2006 technology. Hopefully, the next release will have the ability to Opt-in to the ability to remove your My WOT user data from any third party lists, and that these updates will meet the needs of more modern technologies and Operating Systems, such as Windows 10.

Satch

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 pm

<quote user="satchman">
Dear WOT,

I am upset with the selling of data allegations. My question for the My WOT Community, is how do we know that these accusations are true? They came from some German media firm and Wikipedia. And as we know, Wikipedia's data can be changed over time and at any time. I trusted WOT for many years. However, I rely more on the help My Wot provides on the safety of websites over privacy issues. My take is that if WOT can sell some of your data to third parties, this should have been made clear in the WOT User Agreement during the installation of the plug-in and was not mentioned.

Regardless, My WOT has not been the same company since it's foundation back in 2006. The new team unfortunately has been slow to deal with updates and security issues such as these. My belief is that many of WOT's algorithm's are relying on that old 2006 technology. Hopefully, the next release will have the ability to Opt-in to the ability to remove your My WOT user data from any third party lists, and that these updates will meet the needs of more modern technologies and Operating Systems, such as Windows 10.

Satch
[/quote]

Your board is closed, so I need to give the link here : hxxps://peterswebsafety.com/spams-scams-news-blog
Disabled with hxxps....
This is what I'm sure of that it can be published.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:47 pm

<quote user="dutch mountain">
Your board is closed, so I need to give the link here : hxxps://peterswebsafety.com/spams-scams-news-blog
Disabled with hxxps....
This is what I'm sure of that it can be published.
[/quote]

Thank you Dutch Mountain!

I will copy it over there to the blog. I think people will like it. Great points made at the blog!

Satch

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:30 pm

<quote user="satchman">

I will copy it over there to the blog.[/quote]
What blog exactly ?

<quote user="satchman">Great points made at the blog!

Satch

[/quote]
Tx for the compliment mate.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:17 am

<quote user="dutch mountain">
What blog exactly ?

Tx for the compliment mate.
[/quote]

Hi Dutch Mountain,

I just put my comment on your Peter's Web Safety Page where you talk about what's happening with My WOT. I agree with the observations that you have made.

Satch

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:53 pm

<quote user="satchman">
Hi Dutch Mountain,

I just put my comment on your Peter's Web Safety Page where you talk about what's happening with My WOT. I agree with the observations that you have made.

Satch
[/quote]
OK .... I understood something else.
Perhaps caused by the fact that I'm not native English speaking.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:11 pm

A status report of a fixed version of the WOT extension for Firefox as of 30-Janurary-2017 is at
https://www.mywot.com/forum/73748-community-update-wot-on-firefox