Rumour, Gossip and Fake News Sites

A440

Re: Rumour, Gossip and Fake News Sites

Сообщение A440 » Пн май 13, 2019 1:24 am

Here is another tricky site which is just one of several sites which promote a health scare concerning WiFi and 5G technology:

radiationhealthrisks.com

The site makes claims based upon papers which can at best suggest that there maybe links between observed effects in control groups and exposure to WiFi signals (no conclusive proof whatsoever). This is the nadir of fake science at its trickest and should be rated accordingly.

Here is just one example from this sites links:
In conclusion, the present findings suggest that Wi-Fi exposure may exert gender-related alterations on neural activity associated with the amount of attentional resources engaged during a linguistic test adjusted to induce WM.
No clear results, just a "suggestion" that there is some causality involved, yet this is enough for the site to state that "Are there really dangerous levels of RF radiation in my home? The truth in today’s world is “yes”, very much so. Often very dangerous levels of radiation!"
This is what a science bs site looks like.

huckleberrypie

Re: Rumour, Gossip and Fake News Sites

Сообщение huckleberrypie » Ср июн 19, 2019 12:24 am

A440 писал(а): ↑
Пн май 13, 2019 1:24 am
Here is another tricky site which is just one of several sites which promote a health scare concerning WiFi and 5G technology:

radiationhealthrisks.com

The site makes claims based upon papers which can at best suggest that there maybe links between observed effects in control groups and exposure to WiFi signals (no conclusive proof whatsoever). This is the nadir of fake science at its trickest and should be rated accordingly.

Here is just one example from this sites links:
In conclusion, the present findings suggest that Wi-Fi exposure may exert gender-related alterations on neural activity associated with the amount of attentional resources engaged during a linguistic test adjusted to induce WM.
No clear results, just a "suggestion" that there is some causality involved, yet this is enough for the site to state that "Are there really dangerous levels of RF radiation in my home? The truth in today’s world is “yes”, very much so. Often very dangerous levels of radiation!"
This is what a science bs site looks like.
I've had a client who asked me on Facebook if I could permanently disable Wifi on their kids' tablets. I guess she must be one of those who believed in such malarkey, though it's understandable as to why some would be cautious over electromagnetic radiation being emitted by the devices we use.

Anyway, here are two other sites which might as well deserve the red rating as they're nothing more than fly-by-night yellow kid sites:
echilon.com
cracsip.com

Both sites just showed up out of the blue, and while their news items such as "Amazon to Close Food Delivery Service on June 24" do seem true I wouldn't trust a random blog to spit out news items regardless, especially if it was delivered through unsolicited emails.

A440

A political disinformation site

Сообщение A440 » Сб июн 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Here is a site, run by Republican consultants, who engage in disinformation and libel:
vicimediagroup.com

As per a New York Times article on them:
nytimes.com/2019/06/29/us/politics/biden-trump-consultant-disinformation.html

A440

Another disinformation site

Сообщение A440 » Чт авг 22, 2019 1:31 am

The NYTimes has an interesting article on yet another political disinformation site, run by the same guy who put out that bit of libel and gossip over Wille Horton:
WesternJournal.com
This site demonstrates just how political disinformation sites work:
The message comes first, then facts carefully selected to support it. Only after editors decide the framing of a story, and write the headline, is it handed off to a pool of contract writers, most working remotely. Deadlines are tight: A typical story must be filed within 30 minutes.
nytimes.com/2019/08/21/us/facebook-disinformation-floyd-brown.html

Ответить