New Cloudflare community forum prohibits discussing illegality of sites

Site-rater

New Cloudflare community forum prohibits discussing illegality of sites

Post by Site-rater » Thu May 04, 2017 2:36 pm

hxxps://community.cloudflare.com/t/community-content-moderation-policy/75 states the following:
"No discussion around your feelings of the merit or legality of the content on a site"
Then gives the useless abuse contact as well as the link where they explain why they allow illegal and abusive websites.

They also state "If you have questions or would like to discuss this policy, please feel free to start a topic in this category (Meta) and tag me. I'll be happy to discuss further."
If you want to leave them a message, be sure to use a unique password.

nova7

RE: New Cloudflare community forum prohibits discussing illegali

Post by nova7 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:38 pm

My opinion disagrees with the Cloudflare opinion-policy for years longer than my updated comment:
www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cloudflare.c ... t-87631169

I align with:
xwww.crimeflare.com (lists of cloudflare hosting abuse)

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 am

Site-rater wrote: ↑
Thu May 04, 2017 2:36 pm
hxxps://community.cloudflare.com/t/community-content-moderation-policy/75 states the following:
"No discussion around your feelings of the merit or legality of the content on a site"
So, Cloudfire won't host a discussion about the conduct of sites that Cloudfire will host? See a discussion about this forbidden topic at
https://www.propublica.org/article/how-cloudflare-helps-serve-up-hate-on-the-web
Cloudflare, a prominent San Francisco outfit, provides services to neo-Nazi sites like The Daily Stormer, including giving them personal information on people who complain about their content.
Last edited by NotBuyingIt on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:04 am

I only wonder why this business enjoys such a high WOT reputation.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri May 05, 2017 3:47 am

<quote user="a440">
I only wonder why this business enjoys such a high WOT reputation.
[/quote]

Users who find it to just work and probably didn't check the SAN (Subject Alternative Name) field of the HTTPS certificate they don't even know they had.
I once tries them on a throwaway subdomain (and they controlled my DNS for the better part of a week) and the free certificate they issued was shared with binary options scam site.
And of course there are the fans of pirated content sites like the Pirate Bay that enjoy their protections.
Cloudflare knows they are on their services, I even tipped off their abuse guy on a now-suspended (for unrelated reasons) Twitter account that some ISPs were blocking TPB and other pirate sites (all on the same IP), and they promptly got them unblocked by changing the site's IP address.

nova7

Post by nova7 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Xhttp://bgp.he.net/AS13335 (cloudflare Inc / cloudflare.com routing partners the likes of Bharti, Telia, and Tata Communications)
www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/Airtel.In#comment-56712677 (bharti / airtel, which routes for cloudflare)
www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/Telia.Net#comment-90371529 (Telia, which routes for cloudflare)
www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/en/scorecard ... t-60244701 (the unsat rep of vsnl--now known as tata communications, which routes cloudflare)

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 am

And now, Cloudflare once again argues against "censorship" aka shutting down dangerous and illegal websites at hXXps://blog.cloudflare.com/anonymity-and-abuse-reports/
Apparently they took offense to the following article:
hxxps://www.propublica.org/article/how-cloudfla ... on-the-web
Wonder if the supposed "anonymous" reporting is just piped straight to /dev/null (or for those not technically inclined, sent into a black hole never to be seen again)?

A440

Post by A440 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:40 am

The claim that cloudfare is fighting "censorship" is ludicrous and wholly malformed as ethics go.
They are not even honest crooks, at this rate!

NotBuyingIt

Re: New Cloudflare community forum prohibits discussing illegali

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 pm

NotBuyingIt wrote: ↑
Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 am
https://www.propublica.org/article/how-cloudflare-helps-serve-up-hate-on-the-web
Cloudflare, a prominent San Francisco outfit, provides services to neo-Nazi sites like The Daily Stormer, including giving them personal information on people who complain about their content.
Here are some updates —

Several days after I cited the ProPublica article, a relevant update was posted at
https://www.propublica.org/article/internet-company-does-business-with-hate-sites-alters-complaint-policies
Cloudflare, a major content delivery network that has a variety of white supremacist websites as clients, has said it will change its policies to allow people to more safely lodge complaints about the material on the hate sites.
Additionally, Cloudflare did part ways with The Daily Stormer several months later. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Stormer#Site_hosting_issues_after_the_2017_Unite_the_Right_rally

Today, Cloudflare has also parted ways with 8chan. See
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/technology/8chan-cloudflare-el-paso.html
… the decision to take 8chan offline, at least temporarily, fell largely to Matthew Prince, the chief executive of the little-known San Francisco company Cloudflare.

“We’ll see how this turns out,” he said. “I don’t think I’m going to regret this for a second.”

Site-rater

Re: New Cloudflare community forum prohibits discussing illegality of sites

Post by Site-rater » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:37 pm

I still wouldn't trust Cloudflare, because Matthew Prince only terminated the site due to the pressure put on him, including calls for him to commit suicide.