WOT has been hacked for moveon.org site

MxLvr

WOT has been hacked for moveon.org site

Post by MxLvr » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:02 am

I cannot believe it is anything but hacking because:

1. the organizational site for the "Families Belong Together" events shows as all red. Ridiculous! Moveon has never done anything but good with the websites it controls. Clearly someone supporting Trump has decided this is a way to get people not to participate. This is the link.https://act.moveon.org/event/families-b ... ou-join-us

2. When I tried to alert WOT to this through the developers message feature, it wouldn't let me submit. The CAPTCHA was not working.

Site-rater

Re: WOT has been hacked for moveon.org site

Post by Site-rater » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:38 am

Do you own the moveon.org domain? If not, then this isn't the correct forum, you want Reputation discussions.

People may have rated the act.moveon.org subdomain due to either it being compromised at one point, or due to politically charged campaigns like bans on certain firearms and accessories infrequently used in homicides in the USA (which could threaten to turn law-abiding individuals into felons). I doubt WOT has been hacked, at least in the context of scorecards, but recent campaigns like that one may have mobilized individuals to leave their opinion in the scorecard.

Also, the positive ratings appear to be politically charged, which isn't doing their ratings much good.

I decline to give it my seal of approval, as they do hide behind Cloudflare, a CDN service well known for knowingly protecting terrorist and illegal websites.

spectre

Post by spectre » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:57 pm

The scorecard for the sub domain act.moveon.org has now been checked by Support. There is no malicious activity, all ratings are from real accounts.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:11 pm

@MxLvr

WOT ratings are established for domains (e.g., moveon.org) and sub-domains (e.g., act.moveon.org) but not for subdirectories (e.g, act.moveon.org/event). If you attempt to rate a subdirectory, I think that your rating probably will be applied to the corresponding subdomain and, I'm guessing, you may possibly be the only user who can read any comment that you intended to posted for the subdirectory.

We in the users' community don't have the information to determine that a scorecard has either been "hacked" or otherwise unethically rated. If you can provide plausible evidence of such suspicious activity, please provide it by email to the WOT staff at support@mywot.com . I'm disappointed that so many of the scorecard comments make accusations of political sabotage of the site's reputation, but I cannot disprove it. The scorecard for act.moveon.org reflects spam complaints and a few of the most influential members of the WOT users' community have been known for rating a site unusually low because of spam.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:09 am

I notice that both moveon.org and its sub-domain act.moveon.org currently have favourable scores for Trustworthiness and for Child Safety displayed upon their WOT scorecards.

Update: On 24-October-2018 I noticed that the scorecard for act.moveon.org again showed an adverse Trustworthiness score (12 / 100), chiefly characterised by the categories "Suspicious" and "Privacy Risks". I haven't found any explanation or justification for such a score so I request that uses who contributed any of those adverse ratings post explanations, either in this discussion thread or in a scorecard comment, as WOT expects them to do.