gab.ai rated Safe?

Site-rater

gab.ai rated Safe?

Post by Site-rater » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Why is gab.ai, a site dedicated to violent hate speech, rated Safe?

Scorecard: https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/gab.ai

Also my comment got heavily downvoted, I suspect from hate groups and/or sympathizers for said groups.

NotBuyingIt

Re: gab.ai rated Safe?

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:32 pm

The site is a wee bit "popular" (Alexa Rank: 6283) and had probably received enough favourable ratings from its WOT users fans to have had the questionable Safety Rating of "Safe". Site-rater's current scorecard comment may be accurate (as to may his child-safety caution be entirely justified), but other WOT users evidently prefer to believe the site was established purely for freedom-of-speech issues.
Site-rater wrote: Site was established to attract hate groups banned from Twitter
I came across many reports like the following one dated 9 September 2018.
Microsoft Threatens to Stop Hosting Gab, the Worst Social Network, Over Anti-Semitic Threats of Violence
Gab was founded as a “free speech” platform to counter Twitter, but has largely been a hub for neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and other so-called alt-right groups to congregate. The posts in question are anti-Semitic and explicitly call for Jews to be tortured and for destroying Holocaust memorials, something that the author calls the “Holohoax.”

But this is par for the course on Gab, where the most vile things are posted about women, ethnic minorities, and basically anyone who isn’t a white man....
— Source: _https://gizmodo.com/microsoft-threatens-to-stop-hosting-gab-the-worst-soci-1828233264

GAB now seems to be hosted by Cloudflare, Inc.
Last edited by NotBuyingIt on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:49 pm

NotBuyingIt wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:32 pm
The site is a wee bit "popular" (Alexa Rank: 6283) and had probably received enough favourable ratings from its WOT users fans to have had the questionable Safety Rating of "Safe". Site-rater's current scorecard comment may be accurate (as to may his child-safety caution be entirely justified), but other WOT users evidently prefer to believe the site was established purely for freedom-of-speech issues.
Site-rater wrote: Site was established to attract hate groups banned from Twitter
I came across many reports like the following one dated 9 September 2018.
Microsoft Threatens to Stop Hosting Gab, the Worst Social Network, Over Anti-Semitic Threats of Violence
Gab was founded as a “free speech” platform to counter Twitter, but has largely been a hub for neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and other so-called alt-right groups to congregate. The posts in question are anti-Semitic and explicitly call for Jews to be tortured and for destroying Holocaust memorials, something that the author calls the “Holohoax.”

But this is par for the course on Gab, where the most vile things are posted about women, ethnic minorities, and basically anyone who isn’t a white man....
— Source: _https://gizmodo.com/microsoft-threatens-to-stop-hosting-gab-the-worst-soci-1828233264

GAB has subsequently rehosted at Cloudflare, Inc.
Gab has been on Cloudflare for as long as I can remember; it is in my experience (and others' too) that it is the premier service for hiding servers for the nastiest websites on the web.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Site-rater wrote:Gab has been on Cloudflare for as long as I can remember; it is in my experience (and others' too) that it is the premier service for hiding servers for the nastiest websites on the web.
Thanks! I've fixed my comment. I was already correcting my mistake as you were posting. (Service for the site's real-time whois data is spotty today.) I also wanted to note that WOT Safety Rating for the site has changed to "Unknown".

A longer article regarding the site's adverse reputation is at
_https://washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/08/10/hate-speech-crackdown-spreads-behind-the-scenes-tech/