Two separate private SharePoint sites showing bad WOT rating

KevinKia

Two separate private SharePoint sites showing bad WOT rating

Post by KevinKia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:30 am

I work for two different companies that both have employees that use WOT. Both of them reported they started seeing a WOT warning yesterday on their internal SharePoint sites. These sites are both private and don't allow public sharing of documents outside the company so you need to be logged in to see the site and in order for WOT to see the site.

The sites are both something.sharepoint.com. Has sharepoint.com itself been rated badly? Does WOT rate subdomains?

spectre

Re: Two separate private SharePoint sites showing bad WOT rating

Post by spectre » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Sub domains inherit reputation from the parent domain.
Please see https://www.mywot.com/en/faq/search?terms=sub+domains

KevinKia

Post by KevinKia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:38 pm

So every WOT user who accesses a private SharePoint site will get a warning from WOT? How does this get corrected? Does Microsoft need to get involved? Can WOT provide information to Microsoft on the sub-domains that are hosting malware? Or better yet, can WOT implement a change to only tag sub-domains in high profile domains?

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:57 pm

We WOT users benefit from the inheritance rule: During times while WOT has insufficient data about a sub-domain to calculate an independent reputation score, WOT could have some data about the parent domain which we may or may not decide is pertinent. In earlier versions of the myWoT website, an especially helpful explanation was posted upon the scorecards of sites whose scores were based upon inheritance. Should we decide that a site deserves a different reputation than its parent domain deserves, we can simply rate that site for ourselves. WOT will not display a warning to a user who has rated a site favourably, regardless of how unfavourably WOT has scored that site or its parent domain. Of course, these new ratings provide the data which WOT requires in order to calculate an independent reputation score for the sub-domain. With respect to (the parent) sharepoint.com, WOT estimates a very low reliability in its reputation score. Such a score can easily change with future ratings and the inherited reputations of sub-domains may even more easily change.

So, no: Not every WOT user will always encounter the warning about private SharePoint sites; but many users initially will.
Can WOT provide information to Microsoft on the sub-domains that are hosting malware?
Any information regarding malware (or scams, etc.) is provided by WOT users who post their opinions upon scorecards and in the forums. WOT makes no independent evaluations of users' reports. Microsoft's Bing "bot" scans the entire WOT website all of the time. Therefore, Microsoft has nearly real-time access to the information. Much of the reporting may be considered obsolete data because users are solely responsible for updating their own comments and ratings. Yet, I imagine that after typical users who are victimised by malware rate a site, they never intend to visit the site again and consequently may never update their ratings. The WOT system slowly diminishes the influence of ratings over time, presuming that function still works. When all other factors are equal, the influence of a very old rating is less than a new rating.

Much more information about how WOT works can be found in the Support section of this website (including its FAQ and Wiki) and in earlier forum discussions. Please carefully review those sources.

GGITAdmin

Private Sharepoint showing Malware Warning

Post by GGITAdmin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:13 am

Since for whatever funny reason, my post in another thread about a similar reason was deleted, I guess I am forced to start a new one, talking about the same issue.

Since yesterday, we've gotten warning from WOT about bad security for our .sharepoint, which is private.

I've read the posts in the other thread, but it doesn't really say why it happened since yesterday or how to have WOT or Microsoft do something about it. I contacted Microsoft and they said there's nothing they can do since this is purely WOT's own rating system.

gbollard

Post by gbollard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:01 am

I've spoken to Microsoft on this issue and urged them to escalate it up through their organisation. It's WOT that is at fault and Microsoft is concerned about WOT damaging their reputation but WOT is also "small fry". It will probably take them a while to turn their attention to WOT.

At this point, I've uninstalled WOT. I'm unlikely to encourage people to use it in future and unlikely to support it.

Downvoting an entire hosting domain like Blogger or Microsoft on the basis of a few bad sites isn't good business.

markogen18

WEB Versions of SharePoint and oneDrive are not secure

Post by markogen18 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 am

Hi,

About 3 weeks ago, WOT started notifying me that SharePoint and OneDrive online are not secure regardless couple of coworkes confirming that the page is secure manually.
I don't find a solution for this particular situation. We are using Office365 for Business and it's necessary that WOT confirms that this two pages are secure Did anyone have this problem before? How did you fix it?
Wot not secure.jpg
Thank you for you answers in advance

Best Regards,

Marko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm

I don't wish to engage in lengthy discussions about this, so I will mention one personal experience. In spite of mentions that subdomains "x.SharePoint.com" are private enclaves, on rare occasion I get spam email from one of them. I report it to Microsoft, who then spanks the owner(s), and the problem is solved. It is very possible that other people have simply retaliated by down-rating SharePoint's subdomains and possibly the root domain.

So go ahead and rate your own site positively, if that's your experience of it; just don't create a dog-pile of ratings, paid or not, for the sole purpose of manipulating the trust score - the WoT system does not react favorably to this.

P.S.: Since these sites are so "private", I won't rate them because I can't see them. VirusTotal detects nothing bad; however, most financial scam sites don't have malware, and many of them even use HTTPS.