Feature request: In-line WoT safety icons for webpages of arbitrary domains

Tcll

Feature request: In-line WoT safety icons for webpages of arbitrary domains

Post by Tcll » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:13 pm

hello
[s]I was told to come here to continue a discussion from a support email about a feature request I had for the extension[/s]
the request being an option to display buttons on links from all sites

that way you can know if a link you're being directed to from a random forum or webpage is actually trusted
currently buttons are only displayed on a very small range of preferred sites like gmail or duck duck go
there is no option to add sites like searx.me or turn off the ability of using preferred sites entirely:

[_] Enable Preferred Sites
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[_] google.com ______________________________________________________X
[_] example.com ____________________________________________________X
[_Add_Preferred_Site___________]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[s]if you guys would prefer, I can create a thread for this discussion[/s] :)
Last edited by Tcll on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotBuyingIt

Moderator's note

Post by NotBuyingIt » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:22 am

Tcll wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:13 pm
hello
I was told to come here to continue a discussion from a support email about a feature request I had for the extension

if you guys would prefer, I can create a thread for this discussion :)
@Tcll, welcome to the WoT users community forums.

I've moved your comment for you and I've given it a "Feature request …" title. The Support forum is mostly for WoT users helping other users. During the past several years, unfortunately, the WoT staff has very seldom posted comments in this section. However, perhaps someone will reply since that support email directed you here.

Tcll

Re: Moderator's note

Post by Tcll » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:52 am

NotBuyingIt wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:22 am
@Tcll, welcome to the WoT users community forums.

I've moved your comment for you and I've given it a "Feature request …" title. The Support forum is mostly for WoT users helping other users. During the past several years, unfortunately, the WoT staff has very seldom posted comments in this section. However, perhaps someone will reply since that support email directed you here.
Thank you :)

I had a feeling posting in "Problems with the Website" was a bit weird
but when someone of higher priority tells you to do so, there's isn't much to argue about, especially on a first post:
Dear Tcll5850

Your request 16713 has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

[hr]
WOT Team (WOT Services)
Jul 15, 16:56 EEST

You're welcome to join our forum @ support-f6/problems-with-the-website-t59162-s320.html
Where our community shares with us their thoughts and suggestions and bug fix requests!

Best,

WOT Team

Be safe on the go with WOT apps
Android: http://bit.ly/2Hdl1V2
iOS: https://apple.co/2EINPDa

[hr]
Tcll5850
Jul 13, 16:20 EEST

hey you know what
do you guys mind if I forward this to a thread on the forum in the Support board?? :)
(if I may request a Feedback sub-board there, I think that would help organize things)

then we can get off gmail (stop supporting google's bad data collection practices) and not have to worry about no automated reminders
aside from that though I think the forum is a better place for ideas than an issue tracker anyways ;)

I can keep using this if you guys want though :)

hope progress is going well on this idea! ;D
quoted from my emails, I only modified the copied text to look the part ;)
if you can check the support request, you'll find the same text.

anyways, thanks again :)
honestly, I forgot moving posts to new threads was an option, I'm glad this forum supports it. XD

MyWOT-Team

Re: Feature request: In-line WoT safety icons for webpages of arbitrary domains

Post by MyWOT-Team » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 am

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:13 pm
hello
[s]I was told to come here to continue a discussion from a support email about a feature request I had for the extension[/s]

that way you can know if a link you're being directed to from a random forum or webpage is actually trusted
currently buttons are only displayed on a very small range of preferred sites like gmail or duck duck go
there is no option to add sites like searx.me or turn off the ability of using preferred sites entirely:

[_] Enable Preferred Sites
[_] google.com ______________________________________________________X
[_] example.com ____________________________________________________X
[_Add_Preferred_Site___________]

Thanks for sharing this idea with us @Tcll ! We're considering adding a feature that should answer your concerns (please see the image attached). What do you think?

P.S- We think that's a great idea!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tcll

Post by Tcll » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:45 pm

hmm
it seems like a nice feature to have, but the problem is you have to R-click just to see it

take this from a noob perspective, it likely won't be noticed by much UNLESS it's explicitly mentioned on the extension

could you provide an option to have the scorecard button display directly on the link, just like in search results??
see the attachment for what I'm expecting to see on all sites:
Screenshot_2019-07-18_10-39-17.png
the fact that it's an option means the experience can be disabled by default, and enabled if the user prefers it (like me)
that way you won't get any complaints about the option making web pages look ugly ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:45 pm
hmm
it seems like a nice feature to have, but the problem is you have to R-click just to see it

take this from a noob perspective, it likely won't be noticed by much UNLESS it's explicitly mentioned on the extension

could you provide an option to have the scorecard button display directly on the link, just like in search results??
see the attachment for what I'm expecting to see on all sites:
Screenshot_2019-07-18_10-39-17.png

the fact that it's an option means the experience can be disabled by default, and enabled if the user prefers it (like me)
that way you won't get any complaints about the option making web pages look ugly ;)
Thanks for elaborating on it.
This kind of feature is complicated and requires high maintainance as it highly affected by any SERP's changes or updates and it also might reduce page perforamce and speed. Hence, right click option should give a decent solution: you can choose which links you want WOT to check without page loading time being affected and the feature can be used immidiatly on any URL on any page, based on user's needs.

Also- in case we'll go live with such a feature, we'll make sure to notify our users, so they'll be aware of it and know how to use it! Thanks for sharing your concenrs with us!

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 pm

MyWOT-Team wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm
This kind of feature is complicated and ...
It would be simple to add a right-click menu item that injects|removes the WoT Widget in the already-loaded page to show ratings for all links on that page.

Tcll

Post by Tcll » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:43 pm

> requires high maintainance

how so? if you don't mind me asking :)
(I'm not an expert in extensions, though I have done some pretty complex JS work with ProBoards plugins)

everything should be automated to look for clickable URLs on whatever sites are preferred (if not all sites)
everything else should come from the WoT server and be matched... right??
(by "matched" I mean sending the URL string through an encrypted connection to the server, since it's not practical to copy the WoT database to everyone's machine)
^ yes I know people are probably gonna slap me here and claim possible spying from you guys...

what maintainence would there need to be aside from browser updates breaking things??
I'm sure there's things I don't know, I'm not trying to talk big. ;)

as for performance though, the hit shouldn't be that big unless you're using extensions like JQuery on a page with 100 or so links
raw JS is pretty performative by itself, and can be pretty easy to manage...

if things are getting too complex to maintain, perhaps it's time to start working on a from scratch remake (side project)?? >.>
(suggested because I'm currently doing that with another project I've been working on in python, and have to say it's absolutely worth it) ;)

Tcll

Post by Tcll » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:31 am

important update:
in my last post, I'd mentioned the use of encryption to secure server communication with.

well, now a recent problem has risen that threatens the very security of encryption.
my stupid government (no I will not watch my tongue here) wants to backdoor encryption standards so they can spy on users
(because it WON'T just be limited to government officials who can observe communication, but anyone knowledgeable)
be cautious about what encryption standards you use now, and look for anything that WILL NOT be backdoored.

you might want to update any encryption used on your servers as well
once a standard is backdoored, encryption with it will be pointless