I need to ask some noob questions about illegal sites

magnrg

I need to ask some noob questions about illegal sites

Post by magnrg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Hello WOT,
I need some information about the best way to pressure the owner of an illegal site to remove a scraped/manufactured page that appears in a google search of my phone number. It's obvious the offending site is fronting for something, my suspicion is trafficking, I just don't know how to dig down to find out.
The domain is cityxguide.com.
Whois turns up - http://whois.domaintools.com/cityxguide.com.
GoDaddy is registrar and Cloudflare is nameserver.
But, the host is proxad.net. I've seen the reports of spamming from not only this host; but, free.fr and iliad.fr.
NONE of these parties respond to DMCA letters, emails to Abuse Desk are ignored.
Cloudflare replied, "As we are not a data controller for any of the material that appears on its customers’ websites, we do not have the ability to remove material from the Internet that is hosted by websites on our service, and we are not able to block access to the webpages.", which is clearly not true.
The issue with cityxguide.com is that they have scraped content from solicitation websites like Backpage and The Erotic Review, that no longer exist because they were found to traffic in underage women. The also post current ads for sex with minors.
I appreciate your reading this far; so, my question is - The site, proxy and hosts are clearly hiding their activities. How do I uncover enough about them to be able to pressure them to remove the page that is tied to my phone number? And possibly to motivate cityxguide.com to disappear completely?
Thank you for any help you can provide, if nothing else to help me understand the nature of what's going on here!

NotBuyingIt

Re: I need to ask some noob questions about illegal sites

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:03 am

Since you have obviously described criminal activity exploiting minors, why haven't you already provided all of your evidence to law enforcement?

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm

magnrg wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 pm
Hello WOT,
I need some information about the best way to pressure the owner of an illegal site to remove a scraped/manufactured page that appears in a google search of my phone number. It's obvious the offending site is fronting for something, my suspicion is trafficking, I just don't know how to dig down to find out.
The domain is cityxguide.com.
Whois turns up - http://whois.domaintools.com/cityxguide.com.
GoDaddy is registrar and Cloudflare is nameserver.
But, the host is proxad.net. I've seen the reports of spamming from not only this host; but, free.fr and iliad.fr.
NONE of these parties respond to DMCA letters, emails to Abuse Desk are ignored.
Cloudflare replied, "As we are not a data controller for any of the material that appears on its customers’ websites, we do not have the ability to remove material from the Internet that is hosted by websites on our service, and we are not able to block access to the webpages.", which is clearly not true.
The issue with cityxguide.com is that they have scraped content from solicitation websites like Backpage and The Erotic Review, that no longer exist because they were found to traffic in underage women. The also post current ads for sex with minors.
I appreciate your reading this far; so, my question is - The site, proxy and hosts are clearly hiding their activities. How do I uncover enough about them to be able to pressure them to remove the page that is tied to my phone number? And possibly to motivate cityxguide.com to disappear completely?
Thank you for any help you can provide, if nothing else to help me understand the nature of what's going on here!
Hey magnrg,
Thanks for sharing it! We're always happy to see people who want to help others stay safe online- that's why WOT exists! We highly recommend you to share your review on WOT for these sites, to help WOT users stay on the safe side. Together we'll eliminate online fraud and scams.

Best,
The WOT team

magnrg

Post by magnrg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm

I have posted a review on the proxad.net page. That's how I found WOT and think it's much needed.
As far as the question about reporting to law enforcement, I am not certain who I would report that to. I know cityxguide.com is located in Hong Kong and proxad.net is in France. My last experience reporting international online fraud to Interpol went nowhere. If anyone has any additional suggestions, I'm open.
It was suggested to me by someone at Crimeflare.org, that I send certified DMCA takedown letters to Cloudflare. Because cityxguide.com violates FOSTA-SESTA, that penalizes Internet hosts catering to sex workers and overrides the old "safe harbor" of "Section 230" of the Communications Decency Act, Cloudflare takes this new threat seriously and is starting to drop services to such sites. I am willing to do this as I am certain this site is in violation here.
So far, the email I sent to abuse@cloudflare.com, where I said (among other things), "I do not think Cloudflare wants to provide security services to trafficking sites, such as cityxguide.com, nor to hackers and content thieves, such as proxad.net." has gone unanswered.
It seems I need to up the pressure with actual certified letters and start building a case.
Does anyone have any guidance to offer?

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:22 pm

The United States asserts jurisdiction over all sites in the com TLD, regardless of where they are located in the world. To report child exploitation involving one of those domains, choose one of the several options presented at
https://www.ice.gov/predator
(If you are of the opinion that ice.gov itself has recently been treating children indecently, then choose a non-government option.)

After you have submitted your evidence, you probably should also place requests with the major search engines to cease returning unfair results for searches of your telephone number. Privacy protection varies among countries. For example, Western European countries often have very strong protections that may require the search companies to honour your demand for privacy. If the telephone number is your personal number rather than your business number, you may need to simply change the number, of course.

Several prominent members of the WoT users' community have successfully had websites taken down. However, I don't know if any of them are around to offer advice any longer.

magnrg

Post by magnrg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:56 pm

I sent a certified letter to Cloudflare's legal dept in SF, stating they are in violation of FOSTA-SESTA. We'll see what the response is.
I have had correspondence with google to remove the search result that generates a link from my phone number. The reality is that this page of scraped/manufactured content is only accessible from the google search result. One cannot actually navigate to the page from anywhere on cityxguide.com. IMO, if there ever was an unfair search result, it's this one. That fact does not; however, constitute grounds for google to block that result, according to the Platinum Product Expert I worked with. I will resubmit that request after I have submitted evidence in an exploitation report.
What about the .net TLD? Is that US jurisdiction, as well? I would love to include proxad.net.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:26 am

As I understand its position, the federal government of the USA asserts jurisdiction over all com, net and org domains. See
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/03/06/1720230/us-asserts-super-jurisdiction-over-dot-com-dot-net-and-dot-org-domains

Both proxad.net and cloudflare.com presumably know how to act within the law, and will yield when legally compelled, so I would not expectation that either firm will be taken down.

To me, Google seems unfair and reckless to jeopardise an individual's privacy by refusing to remove a personal telephone number from search results. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_be_forgotten

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:20 am

magnrg wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:56 pm
I sent a certified letter to Cloudflare's legal dept in SF, stating they are in violation of FOSTA-SESTA. We'll see what the response is.
I have had correspondence with google to remove the search result that generates a link from my phone number. The reality is that this page of scraped/manufactured content is only accessible from the google search result. One cannot actually navigate to the page from anywhere on cityxguide.com. IMO, if there ever was an unfair search result, it's this one. That fact does not; however, constitute grounds for google to block that result, according to the Platinum Product Expert I worked with. I will resubmit that request after I have submitted evidence in an exploitation report.
What about the .net TLD? Is that US jurisdiction, as well? I would love to include proxad.net.
Hey, are you the one who put that review up on TrustPilot? Unfortunately Cloudflare has had it taken down.

I have had a red rating for Cloudflare.com for years myself for different reasons.

MarkGiles

How to get help from Cloudflare.

Post by MarkGiles » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Cloudflare is quite in its rights to respond that they are not the hosting provider. They simply provide a reverse proxy which redirects a request for a URL to its actual IP location.

In effect, this masks the actual hosting IP address, so that you do not know who is the real hosting provider.

However, aware that this means that people performing illegal acts are being protected, Cloudflare has implemented a policy to assist complainants. If you use their process to request the identity of the service provider of the hosting IP address, they will provide it.
To do this, go to their requesting site at https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/form

Fill in that form providing the domain name that is showing a Cloudflare address, quoting both the domain name and the source Cloudflare IP addresses, provide the reason for your request, and you will get a response identifying the actual host service provider.

Here is a live sample of their response, with the offending domain name redacted to protect the guilty :-)
Cloudflare received your abuse report regarding:
REDACTED.com

Please be aware Cloudflare is a network provider offering a reverse proxy, pass-through security service. We are not a hosting provider. Cloudflare does not control the content of our customers.

Accepted URL(s) on REDACTED.com:
http://REDACTED.com

Hosting Provider:
-----------------

GBServers

Abuse Contact:
--------------

abuse@firstserv.com
Based on that response, I can now proceed with a request to the hosting provider, in this case GBServers, requesting them to suspend the web site at some IP address in their IP range, with the evidence I provide of illegal activity. Note that I do not know the actual hosting IP address, but I know from Cloudflare that it belongs to them, and they will know what it is.

This process works.

As you know,
cityxguide.net Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
cityxguide.net has address 104.27.146.152
cityxguide.net has address 104.27.147.152

Put that domain and those two IPs into the Cloudflare form