Ok to show MyWot reputation level in Wikipedia infoboxes?

mange01

Ok to show MyWot reputation level in Wikipedia infoboxes?

Post by mange01 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi. I have an idea.

Many popular web sites have their own Wikipedia article - including an infobox. Would it be okay to show the MyWot 5-level reputation in the infobox, perhaps together with a link to the MyWOT Wikipedia article? Something like "MyWOT site reputation:" and 4 colored stars and one agrey star. Or "4.1 out of 5".

The data for Wikipedia infoboxes may be stored centrally in the wikidata.org database. This allows the data to be used in many language versions of the same Wikipedia article. Would it be ok from copyright point of import all the site url:s and reputation levels from MyWOT to Wikidata? And would it be technically possible for a bot to import it as a data file a few times per year? My idea is not to import full-text user reviews to Wikidata - only the numerical data.

I am just a Wikidata contributor. Other Wikidata people must say yes to importing the data, and then it is up to people in every WIkipedia language version if they would like to show this indicator in the infoboxes. But I wanted to start by asking you guys. Ofcourse it would attract a lot of people to Mywot. It would probably require that you make your numerical data free under the creative commons CC-by-0 license, while the text still could be proprietory.

An argument to my fellow Wikipedia contributors is that this is the best scale of site reliability that exists. It would help Wikipedia fight fake news and warn for pseudoscience and other non-reliable sites, and it would be helpful in the quality control of Wikipedia sources. However, there is a risk that some may say that they prefer to start out from your 3rd-party blacklists, written by named experts, since your reputation indicator is affected by anonymous user contributions. Wikipedia has a principle to never accept user votings as a way to find out the truth. Wikipedia people prefer meritocracy over democracy - citing authoritative sources and giving strong arguments is the way to win a fight at Wikipedia. Wikipedia also has a principle to not consider other wikis and other sites with anonymous user contributions as valid sources for information. But still, I think some Wikipedians would see the point and like the idea.

(As I have suggested before, it would be helpful if MyWot indicated pseudo-science with red, and scientific level of sources with for example nuances of blue. This is a blacklist of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, etc: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/RationalWiki:Webshites/ . This is a Danish three-level whitelist/grading of scientific journals and publishers: https://ufm.dk/en/research-and-innovati ... e=en&cl=en . Indicating scientific level would be helpful for students writing theses, and for checking Wikipedia sources.)

Site-rater

Re: Ok to show MyWot reputation level in Wikipedia infoboxes?

Post by Site-rater » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:08 am

MyWOT ratings can be subject to change, so this may be non-recommended. You may also want to check on Wikipedia's editorial policies regarding sources like WOT, as these ratings are community opinions.

Myxt

Re: Ok to show MyWot reputation level in Wikipedia infoboxes?

Post by Myxt » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 am

You should contact support@mywot.com or via https://www.mywot.com/contact for details.
Some development is currently in progress, so you will need to be patient.